Discarded cigarette causes fire – Beach Way, Jaywick

0

A discarded cigarette causes a fire

Beach Path, Jaywick
07/10/2022 @ 12:19
Incident number: 171908
Waiting: 1x Clacton, 1x Weeley, 1x Brightlingsea, 1x Colchester


Firefighters are advising residents to ensure cigarettes are properly extinguished after a discarded cigarette caused a fire in Clacton earlier today.

Crews from Clacton, Weeley, Brightlingsea and Colchester were called to Beach Way, Jaywick at 12.19pm.

Upon arrival, crews reported that the patio outside an abandoned house was on fire and producing heavy smoke.

The firefighters intervened to put out the fire around 1:10 p.m.

Station manager Jeremy Tuckwell said: ‘Please make sure you crush cigarettes well before you throw them away – especially in this hot, dry weather which we will see continue throughout the week. All it takes is a small ember to ignite dry grass and plants in hot weather.”

Could you be an on-call firefighter?

Brightlingsea and Weeley firefighters are on-call firefighters – they all live or work within 5 minutes of an on-call fire station and are paid to protect their community.

Do you live or work less than 5 minutes from a fire station on duty? You could be a firefighter.

Find out more about the role and how to apply at join.essex-fire.gov.uk/on-call

Share.

Comments are closed.