A fire in a Yakima home early Friday morning caused by a discarded cigarette caused damage estimated at $ 350,000.
Firefighters responded at around 3:10 a.m. at the house in the 200 block of North 30th Avenue. When they arrived, the family living at the house were safe with neighbors. No injuries were reported.
Sixteen firefighters intervened. The teams remained in place for approximately 90 minutes.
Usually at this time of year, firefighters deal with heating fires. Many house fires this time of year are started by baseboards and heaters or heaters used to warm the animals. But cigarettes do the most damage, regardless of the time of year.
DESPITE THE LESS SMOKING, HOME FIRES ARE STILL A PROBLEM
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the most recent information shows that only 15.5% or less of the adult population are smokers, up from 33% in 1980. Despite the small number of people who smoke, smoking remains the most common. leading cause of household fires. deaths. According to the most comprehensive data available, the CDC states that “during the period 2012-2016, an estimated annual average of 18,100 (5%) reported residential structure fires started by smoking materials killed an average of 590 (23 %) people per year, injured 1,130 (10%) per year, and caused $ 476 million in direct property damage (7%) per year.
INDOOR SMOKING BAN MEANS MORE FIRES START OUTSIDE
So what has been the impact of indoor smoking bans in homes and businesses? Firefighters say they have seen more fires started by cigarettes that have started outside homes. In fact, the main area of origin of house fires in 2012-16 was an outdoor balcony or open porch (18%).
So, if you smoke indoors, make sure all smoking items are out and never smoke in bed or while napping in a chair. If you smoke outside, never use soil in plants to extinguish your cigarette, as the wood in the ground can get hot and catch fire.