SCARY neighbors have reported smelling cigarette smoke before hearing a loud ‘bang’ amid an explosion at a Scottish home.
A was rushed to hospital after police, fire and paramedics descended on Broomage Crescent in Larbert, Falkirk, this afternoon.
Large flames and black smoke were spotted rising from a house in the street.
A man was rushed to Glasgow Royal Infirmary by ambulance for treatment.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) confirmed there were no other casualties.
Six fire apparatus were scrambled and crews used a height apparatus as they struggled to extinguish the flames – while the roof of the burning house was destroyed by fire.
The cops were alerted to the emergency around 1:40 p.m. when the alarm was raised.
Mercy crews rushed to the residential street and evacuated several homes as the scene was locked down.
Most read in Scottish news
The circumstances surrounding the incident are not yet known, but a resident said it was a “gas leak”.
Officers are advising people to avoid the area and emergency services are still on the scene.
A number of residents still cannot return to their homes.
Neighbor Veronica Penman, 55, said: ‘All I know is the house next door was on fire. All emergency services we are here.
‘IT’S TOO BAD’
“It’s pretty bad. I’m waiting to be able to enter the house.
Another neighbour, Ernest Bozman, 74, a retired bricklayer, said: ‘As far as I know he was in the back having a cigarette – then bong.
“He smokes out the back door and you can usually smell it. You hear him speak and then bang. That was it. I was not here. The woman just told me.
“She said I smelled it smoke – then bang and that was it.”
A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “At approximately 1.40pm on Saturday February 26, police were called to a report of an explosion at a property in Broomage Crescent, Larbert.
“Emergency services are on scene and several nearby buildings have been evacuated.
Glasgow ‘mass brawl’ in St Enoch Square with ‘100 teenagers fighting and stealing bottles’ as terrified Tesco staff close doors
“A man was taken to Glasgow Royal Infirmary by ambulance for treatment.
“We advise people to avoid the area at this time for their own safety and to allow investigations to continue.”
SFRS Group Commander Andy McDermott said: “We are asking the public to avoid the area for their safety as well as motorists to help maintain access for emergency service vehicles. We thank the community for his continued support.”
Board staff, Scottish Gas Networks (SGN) engineers, fire and police were on hand for a multi-agency meeting.
An SGN spokesperson said: “Following reports of an incident at Broomage Crescent, Larbert, earlier today, our engineers joined the emergency services on site at 2.28pm.
“We continue to work closely with the authorities.”